Saturday, June 19, 2010

Folsom Prison Festa

I heard the door bell ringing. It was time to go. My friend Timoteo had come to give me a ride to a birthday party his band was playing at. I'm not going to lie, I was a tad bit nervous. I didn't know what to expect.I mean, don't get me wrong, I am a crazy party animal. For those who know me, they know I can't even type that with a straight face. I am an introvert to the extreme. I opened the door to find Timoteo, his guitar player Lucas, another man I'm going to affectionately refer to as drummer dude, and a 65' bug. Timoteo told me it was a classic. I thought it was a slow moving metal death trap. All five of us crammed into the little bug. Drummer dude spoke some spanish so we got along quite well. It is weird that I never asked his name. We arrived at a large house to set for their show. Outside the gate there was a guard who came and looked in our car. He then pressed a button that lifted a large iron wrought gate so that we could drive in. The walls were ten feet high with two feet of electric fence on top of that. I knew I would be the only one there who could speak english. I contemplated an escape route. My plan, had it been carried out, would've made Jason Bourne look like a rookie. I was going to pole vault over the twelve foot fence. There were only two limitations to the first plan: one, I didn't have a long pole with which to vault, two, I never actually learned how to pole vault. How hard could it be? Have you ever visited a friend in a different city? You know how awkward it is when you go to a party with them to meet all his friends? Well this was kind of like that on steroids. Not only did I not know anyone, but I also couldn't communicate with them due to obvious limitations. All I could do was sit and stare. We arrived at 8:15 so that the band could set up. People didn't arrive until nine. I sat and watch the hostess place bowls of apples floating in water. I thought to myself, "Alright, I can bob for some apples." Then she lit several candles and set them floating in the bowls. Then I thought to myself, "What an intense game of bobbing for apples." Sadly, no one attempted the feat. People arrived and the band started playing. I sat alone until two ladies around my age came and sat next to me. They introduced themselves and we began chatting. Yes, I said chatting. My portuguese has improved to the point where I can hold a decent conversation with some people. We discussed school, future plans, and how difficult Portuguese is. Their names were Larissa and Jessica, and we had a wonderful time. After the band stopped playing they came down and sat with us. We ate. We laughed. What was once a place I was devising suicidal escape plans had now become a place of, dare I say, merriment? We discussed music and what American bands they liked. The lead singer of the band had to have been around 25. He told me his favorites were Metallica and Justin Bieber. You should just stew over that for a moment. Their favorites ranged from Beyonce to Lady Gaga. It wasn't much of a stretch. How sad is it that the only music they know from America is all terrible. The air was wrought with cheap wine (I don't actually know if it was cheap it just sounds good as far as writing goes). The beer, wine, and other assorted drinks flowed like that waters of falls iguazu. Sorry to disappoint my friends, but no I didn't have any. The band got up and played some more. As the evening progressed more and more people began to dance. It was hysterical. One such woman had to be in her sixties, but I'll give it to her. She could move to the rhythm. The party, or festa, lasted until 2:00 am. I arrived home around 2:30 to find Zanatta and Leila still up watching television. I felt bad because I thought they were waiting up for me. They continued to watch for another hour. At least I think so; I was asleep before they stopped. I didn't feel so bad after that. Te night began with me dreading the unavoidable awkward situation I was going to be thrust in, but it ended with several new friends, better portuguese, and some images of elderly woman moving and grooving.

8 comments:

  1. OK, Hutton. First, I had no idea what a great writer you are. Great!!! Second, what a story so far. We are so proud of you. Please give Leila and Zanatta a hug from Grandma and Grandpa. We love you and are praying for you every day. Keep the stories coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Brazil may bring out the party animal in you yet! Ok that wasn't said with a straight face either. Keep blogging...we miss you and love you. Give Leila a hug and tell Zanatta Happy American Father's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hutton, when I read this post I could not quit laughing and I kept thinking of you as a party animal and laughed even harder. I know he is in there but the image of you ever showing him is just too much. Creates pretty much the same image I would have of Tod out on the disco floor. Yes, we have all seen your father dance. Okay, I am laughing again and I know you are too so keep up with the writing because I just love to read what you write. Also, out of all the Brown kids you are one of the ones I can most relate too because I am very reserved too and when you wrote that about thinking of yourself as Jason Bourne and wanting to pole vault over that fence then I was feeling what you were. I bet you could have done it. I love your writings and I hope more and more that you become like the lady on the dance floor. Like the song says, I hope you dance and Hutton, I know you are! Love you and like your mom said, give Leila and Zanatta a hug and wish him a Happy Father's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was never able to stay up later than Leila and Zanatta, don't even try! Glad you are having fun! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't know if this will go through, but hope you will know tha I'm reading and engrossed in your stories. Talents I din't know you had keep showing up. Such a great reader is bound to pick up something about good writing and your writing is good! Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hutton, you have no idea how much laughter you brought me with the party animal comment. Although, you can't hide that side of you forever. I think Brazil is the best place to let it show! You just have to FIND that part of you first...but I HAVE FAITH!! The fact that you even went to that part is evidence enought that you are growing closer and closer to that "party animal" side of you. Haha I love these stories, Hut. They are great, and truly inspiring especially as I am about to embark on my own journey across the world in less than 3 weeks! I hope you continue to live out some great stories and I can't wait to read the ones to come. I'm praying for you and I know your experiences will be ones you will never forget. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you should have bobbed for the apples

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha I so know what you're talking about! And all the others are correct, you've become a great writer! Keep it comin.

    ReplyDelete